Green School News from Committee
We met our Green School Travel Officer, Karen, on Wednesday 2nd October. Karen has some great ideas to get everyone involved in our quest to protect our environment. We look forward to working with Karen through various workshops and environmental audits.
Our first job is to look back at our previous themes. Up first is Litter and Waste.
Litter and waste
In 2009 we received our first green flag for litter and waste. We are delighted with our great efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle around the school environment.
Here is a list of some of the things we are currently doing in our school to reduce, reuse and recycle litter and waste:
- Each class has a recycling bin which we empty daily.
- Battery boxes are located outside each classroom.
- We use reusable lunch containers instead of tin foil.
- We encourage the use of reusable drink bottles.
- We use recycled paper towels in BSNS.
- Children from First Class are responsible for ‘Litter walks’ of the school to ensure our school environment is litter free.
- Children from Second Class help Mick (caretaker) to empty the large recycling bins in our corridors every week.
Have you got any suggestions for us? We would love to hear them. Drop us an email at email@example.com.
Why not visit https://www.mywaste.ie/ for ideas on how you can help at home.
The Green School Committee